View Single Post
Old 1st November 2011, 08:18 AM   #127
laEspadaAncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
It seems to me that blades from the 17th C European Trade Blade presumeably from the Industrial Revolution cannot have been responsible for Omans replacement sword stock because the dates of the European Industrial period are much later. Whilst 1821 is a lot later and more believable why would they accept foreign blades and with the requirement to fully update the Funoon etc? At least we need to look at possible cottage industry production locally and in the absence of proper evidence including blade stamps etc I think that is a worthy cause.

Salaams Ibrahiim,

While the Industrial Revolution may not have begun until the latter half of the 18th century, industrialization of the (sword manufacturing) process had (as I understand it) been occurring in Solingen since the 16th century. The use of (water driven) mechanical hammers allowed for a rate of production significantly greater than traditional hammer forging methods had allowed. There was indeed a significant industry (and thus industrial presence) in place in Solingen in the 17th century producing large quantities of swords.

Jim, thank you (yet again!) for taking the time to share your knowledge. The picture you draw of the extensive (and intertwined) networks of trade is demonstrative of how pervasive trade - and the influence it brings - has always been...
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote