View Single Post
Old 1st March 2023, 04:54 AM   #6
JoeCanada42

Hi Kai thanks for some input.
I did just re-read the post for the red dragon, seems the fittings and the ray skin plus+ the lacquer were giving doubts. (i think the shaolin is much better dressed)
I like Jim's post about it being a gift like tribute, I need to research more of that.
also I like the ideas of it being possibly older and yet hard to distinguish...

The main take aways I get from rereading it are Kungfu, Buddhist, Taoist, Ming.
my shaolin idea I don't know where that came from but it seemed to fit, (actually when researching shaolin swords, I also saw similar modern productions of this very similar style sword called shaolin, this made me feel more confident in making the link.)

"A quote from any accepted translations will do for a start..." I couldn't possibly provide that...

"cleaning and light etching might allow additional insights" I have never etched a blade and don't really want to start with this one.

I have imagination, not astute studious scholarly abilities such as yourself and others. I can share ideas and photos...weights etc... I come here to allow more capable, willing and interested people also to learn from it. and and as a shortcut to some info, I hope they would share.

I think my research may always seem lacking, I will never produce any threads that are exposition like as many of you do.

I am quite satisfied already with the sword and my limited knowledge of the many possible histories. the sword looks like chilled steel and has the leaping dragon, I read about how they could possibly throw these swords, this one does feel like it could cut through 10 other swords . very fluid movement despite its size, good balance point, no vibration..

sometimes I am worried people are afraid to give they're positive opinions as they don't want to help confirm a bonafide example and educate other potential buyers. I understand for swords of good old example such as ibans , they can make some members bid a little crazy or even some fall for fake handles.

experts can be wrong, there was the recent post about the museum with a replica that turned out to be the real deal.
I really hope Philip will come take a look at these new examples I am sharing

I own two and have seen 3 total with the exact same dragon carving.
someone , somewhere, sometime, may be able to identify this dragon mark and it may solve a big part of this mystery.