View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2012, 01:48 AM   #24
Kiziria

“barging in” is only welcome dear Ariel ! And you are absolutely correct about saber that Kurt displayed, it is definitely not a Khevsurian type but of Kartli/Kaheti region which we can judge by the construction of the handle and niello pattern on the silver plates of scabbard and scabbard itself.
About your question. Nither me nor my colleagues have seen many of silver plated swords from Khevsurety.
True that most common type of khevsurian scabbard seen today and well known by collectioners is leather on wood that fortified partially by brass plates. Yet there are few examples that compleately covered in brass ( in this case embellished with chiseling or embossed) or completely covered in silver plate ( in this case embellished with niello ). Ither it could be considered as traditional as other known type of corse remain a question. The oldest example atributed to 1860th or about that time.
The silver scabbard and sword that I had displayed on top is one of 2 that belong to Likokeli family from Likokeli glen (Likokis temi in Georgian) and were made by Likokeli masters.( Present owner David Likokeli however does not continue family tradition). Likokelis swords are of special interest because these masters had kept distinct style for blade making as well as for pattern motives on silver. I will find and post later an axample of their signature blade, which might be helpful for attribution.
There are other fully clad in silver or brass scabbards that could be attributed to works of other old smith families that claimed its authorship namely Arabuli, Mindikauri or Chincharauli , but work of establishing it is not finished, because those items are not in Khevsurety but in provide collections. Hopefully in the end we will be able to say exactly which work is done by what master. So far there only 9 such swords are located. It is a really small number but we hope to locate more.
They probably were never produced in big numbers partly due to the fact that not every one could afford it. Also it had been suggested by a collegue that silver wears quikly against chainmail shirt so silver plated scabbards probably never could become a common choice. ( arguable in my opinion)
I would add also that khevsur type swords – palashes and sabers never being demanded outside the Khevsurety unlike another type known as Caucasian shashka that was prodused in great numbers so we find nowadays so many great examples of such work.

Last edited by Kiziria; 22nd July 2012 at 02:56 AM.
Kiziria is offline   Reply With Quote