View Single Post
Old 17th July 2012, 04:50 AM   #12
Kiziria

Default answer to freebooter

Greetings freebooter !
Its been long time since my last visit. I hope my intrusion into this obviously abandoned conversation might yet turned out helpful for you.
First of all allow me to make few corrections to provided information. The picture of seated warrior in chain mail, signed in Russian script “Xevsur” is well known picture from Russian collection of types of the Caucasus. However on the picture is not a khevsur highlander but a person that was hired by the studio to pose in khevsurian garment. The armament on the picture is assembled from various sources and there for is not entirely khevsurian. Saber is not of khevsurian style as well as head piece and clothing below the knee.
Next to above mentioned picture is another one of the saber , signed “khevsur khmali ….”
It is not however khevsurian , though I agree it shares some features. The saber is typical for Kartly and Kaheti regions of Eastern Georgia. The distinctive features are elements of scabbard. The blade itself is of curved “gorda” type or also known as “gurji gurda” its distinctive features are fullers and marks on the blade. So how to distinguish khevsurian saber or palash . One should keep in mind that scabbards of khevsurian swords are extensively or completely covered in metal. I will try to post few examples of such scabbards.
Best,
VK

Last edited by Kiziria; 17th July 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Kiziria is offline   Reply With Quote