View Single Post
Old 9th August 2012, 12:48 AM   #16
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
As noted, eagle heads were keenly popular in America post Revolutionary War and well into the 19th century, many of the well known 'eagleheads' were from around the end of the Mexican War (1846). The style of this eagle is indeed unusual and the profound presence of feathers to me seems inclined more to Mexican Republic type influence. The Mexican emblem is of course the eagle, and highly feathered regalia traditional Aztec representation. The blade does seem European hanger in form, the marks as yet are unknown to me but seem somewhat familiar.
The alternating quillons are not remarkably significant as a specific identifier as they were of course common on many forms of hangers, bayonets and swords throughout Europe, on colonial swords in many spheres, and are familiar on the ring hilt daos of China.

The Dutch VOC sword is of the form well known in hangers of 17th-18th century and remind me of examples resembling kastanes as well as various lion heads etc. and in ivory.

For some reason I cannot recall any example of eaglehead on an Islamic weapon, though of course theoretically some highly stylized hilts are presumed to possibly represent various birds.

Hey buddy,

Are we sure Nandos sword is an eagle?

It doesn't look very 'bird of prey' to me. And there is no distinctive 'lip' around the beak. Also it doesn't extend back under the eye, it's stuck on the 'face' like a nut cracker or seed eater.
Thats why I think it might be a good clue.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote