View Single Post
Old 13th May 2010, 06:23 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Yuanzhamin,
As I mentioned, this is far outside my usual field of study, but I did come across some note cards, and I think searching with the feature here will reveal earlier discussions discussing some of these.

The shafted arms with the crescent type blades are apparantly termed 'shuang gou' or double hook swords, or ye liang shuang gou; colloquially paired moon hooks (hopefully these versions of whatever terms are used in Chinese are reasonably close). The form itself, as noted, seems to derive from ancient types as early as Spring & Autumn period (770-221BC). These were used in pairs and ideal for dismounting horsemen, although they apprarantly were not military, but civilian weapons.

I believe these may also be termed double head tiger swords (Hu Tou Shuang Gou), but cannot be certain. One of the first known illustrations (in the west) of these was in an English newspaper, "The Graphic" March 3,1877.
In these times, keen awareness of China was becoming even more pronounced and civilian martial artists had become a virtual security type industry. Groups and organizations of these martial artists were secured to protect residences, trade convoys and in many other situations. In many cases, numbers of these martial artists, in the sense of privateers, became predators themselves, and formed much of the ranks of the well known Chinese pirates.

The so called butterfly knives were also a predominant weapon of the martial artists and often the pirates. They occurred as noted, in varying sizes and degree of variation, but were, like the gou, used in pairs typically.

The unusual hafted weapon shown with the antlered skull seems another of the often unusual shaped items used, and seems to correspond to things I have seen but cannot recall exactly the source. I believe I have seen something similar in perhaps the Chinese reference by Werner (1930s) but dont have it here. These were line drawings and not sure how accurate, but the claw reference seems to be likely.

Without hands on examination, these weapons seem that they might have been part of a store of weapons of these martial artists on the latter 19th century, and most interesting examples.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote