View Single Post
Old 13th May 2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
I'd suggest that the spear may be simply the head of what they call a "halberd" in English. The sabers could all be hudiedaos.

I suspect these are fairly recent wushu weapons, especially the hooks. Perhaps no one was posting, not from lack of knowledge, but from a concern that recent, poorly stored weapons might be passed off as antiques.

F
Very good point Fearn! and that is indeed a valid reason especially as we know that the production of 'antique' weapons has become a prolific cottage industry in China. Thank you for the observations, and in these kinds of cases, rather than making precise assessments of the weapons presented it is often better to address the weapon forms themselves from a historic perspective. Adding information on other known examples as well as suggestions for reference and identification that are known is also very helpful. I'd like to think of these threads as a sort of think tank for the study of historic weapons which I think is characteristically pretty well done here most of the time.......you are another who always adds helpful and very useful input constantly.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote