View Single Post
Old 4th September 2016, 08:16 AM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
In respect of the silver work.

Kota Gede near Jogjakarta in Central Jawa is, I believe, the biggest, most experienced, most productive manufacturer of silver work in Indonesia, quality ranges from work that is second to none to quality that is pretty rough.

Celuk in Bali is probably producer number two.

The other two major silver work producing centres are Kendari in Sulawesi and Kotagadhang in Sumatra. By all accounts these two centres do not produce quality that is the equal of Kota Gede and Celuk. I have not seen work that I know to have come from either of these two places.

There are silver workers in many other areas in Indonesia, but in my understanding, these small, stand-alone workshops are owned and staffed by men who are the inheritors of the skills of the major silver working centres.

I doubt that it is possible to guess where the silver work for this keris comes from. To my eye both hilt and scabbard, considered together, appear to be Celuk work, but realistically they could have been made anywhere.
Hello Alan,

since Marius seems to be unsure from which place in Indonesia he have bought this keris I've done a little bit research by ebay and found that exactly this keris was sold from a well known dealer on Bali which you know as well so I am nearly sure that the silver work was done in Celuk.

Best regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote