View Single Post
Old 28th September 2010, 08:53 PM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Excellent Kronckew , thank you for those illustrations, exactly what I was looking for! The dual oval shaped guard was what I was thinking of.
Thank you for posting the duelling epee, and Dmitry, I missed that also, forgot about that knuckleguard

I suppose it is possible for a walking sword to be of the type which might serve as a duelling epee if required, but still have the fashionable style of the gentlemans smallsword. As always, I am typically overly optimistic, but remain in view of this sword as purposefully fabricated as is, and in the period noted. While I do not believe this is a fencing sword guard, I do believe it is made with these in mind, and in classical motif despite its rather heavy application. As I have contended, these were industrial times and sound, almost workmanlike features might well have recalled architectural motifs which also carried neoclassical themes in this period.

The only factor that is somewhat distracting with the configuration of the guard on this sword is that the lobes are positioned transversely to the quillons and knuckleguard, rather than horizontally in line. As the components seem to be homogenous as examined, the sword appears to have been originally intended as it stands, so perhaps this alignment was simply stylistic preference or if indeed innovatively fabricated, an oversight? It seems that if positioned otherwise the vestigial pas d'ane arms would have had no element for them to terminate upon.

The case continues

All best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 28th September 2010 at 09:06 PM.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote