View Single Post
Old 28th September 2010, 01:20 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry
This looks like a mix of a late 1700s-early 1800s grip, guard and blade, mated to some kind of a gothic style architectural element, perhaps a furniture decoration, used for a guard.

Good observations Dmitry. I had thought this interesting sword might fall into the 1790-1810 range as Mark had noted. Your note on the architectural significance is well placed, and it has always been interesting to notice the associations in hilt design to these elements of motif in weapon decoration and style.

In the case of the neoclassicism of the late 18th century I was referring to, the designs do seem to have reflected these associations, and I am presuming you meant the design motif of the openwork guard rather than the piece itself being a furniture element. In that respect it seems well established that the classical 'volute' or scroll element which was often used in baroque architecture and design found use in motif in many forms of material culture.

The English in this latter 18th century period seem to have had considerable commanality with the French in many aspects of style, fashion and even weapons design. The smallsword had long used bilobate shellguards in the hilt design, but many had moved to single oval guards.

In reviewing "Catalog of European Court Swords and Hunting Swords" (Bashford Dean, 1929) a number of French and English court swords are shown with some basic similarities to this sword hilt. I believe the 'sunburst' designs I had noted would be better described as rosettes, so perhaps the allusion to Boulton's symbol would not be relevant, however the design does still seem of the Soho, or 'English Style of the Early 19th Century" as worded by Dean.

Attached are the plate (106,107) from Dean, English dress sword c.1810
and the illustration of volutes in classical architecture.

I believe this is the design intended by the maker of the openwork guard to accompany the neoclassical design of the hilt.

All best regards,
Jim
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote