View Single Post
Old 7th July 2019, 03:14 PM   #1
Athanase

Default Keris with nice Naga Kinatah blade for comments

Hello,

Here is my last bet (a little crazy).
I bought this Keris without seeing the blade, seduced only by the delicacy of the details of the handle and the sheath that seemed very old and atypical. But there was no picture of the blade, only a description that said: blade ornamented with leaves with remains of gilding and pamor.

Now that I have Keris in my hands, I notice that the wrangka is not adapted to this blade. The wrangka has a style that makes me think that it dates from the first half of the nineteenth century or before. By dismounting the Pendok (Banyumas?) I found an old collection numbers in Indian ink.
I have the feeling that the base of Wrangka has been filed to fit the pendok.
I suspect that originally the sheath was made of one (or two) piece of wood, without pengok, and that the lower part was damaged, it was cut and replaced by a light wood covered with a pendok.

The blade with Naga, kinatah and his atractive pamor is very nice but more recent (I think).
The description let me think of a blade with much simpler decorations so it was a real surprise when I saw the blade.
I don't test the gold, but it's very different and much finer than the kinatah made of brass that I could see.
What period could date this blade?
Attached Images

Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote