View Single Post
Old 31st October 2008, 09:37 AM   #11
Martin Lubojacky

Hello Jim,

I have several Takoubas an Kaskaras, all of them I bought in their countries of origin. When I saw this sword (I mean with exactly the same hilt) in Tunisia, I was hasitating if to buy it or not and I did nit take it from two reasons: first of all it was not complete (without the sheath) and secondly - my feeling - at that time - was, that this kind of hilt was "unnatural" (it is all made fof wood, even the crossguard, covered with copper plates). After the time I changed my opinion, but I did not find the sword again. When some of my friends travel to the South Arabian countries like Yemen etc (unfortunately I heve never been there), I always ask them to make photos of swords in antique shops - you will not find such hilts there.

The mounting of the sheath resembles the mountings on Yemeni Saifs sheaths etc., but this is style has been practised e.g. by Berbers silversmiths on Djerba, too. The motif is cmommon on South - Mediterranean coast (maybe hand of "Chmesa"), also exactly the same ornamental frame you can find on Berber bracelets. The residues of leather strips on the sheath resembles gripping of Takouba (not Kaskara) sheats.

This is just my observation.

Regards,

Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote