Thread: Khanda Sword
View Single Post
Old 17th June 2015, 02:46 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Fascinating look into the intrigue of Indian arms!

Bandook, this is a very nice example of the so called 'Hindu basket hilt', and I am interested in knowing how the 1680 AD date was determined. Are there markings with this date somewhere on the sword?

I have also always been curious about the 'stem' protruding from the pommel on these, and their use as a secondary grip for a two hand blow. I have often considered a more decorative or symbolic reason for this feature as they do occasionally occur on other versions in shorter (thus not functional in this purpose) length, and it seems on some tulwars.

Regarding symbolic motif, the piercings on the langet, in fours, seems to occur on many northern tulwars from Rajasthan further in the northwest, possibly even into Afghan regions. These also are found on langets of the type of tulwar known popularly as the Afghan 'paluoar'.

Most noteworthy on this khanda is the blade, which is contrary to the blades commonly found on these, usually single edged 'firangi' (imported foreign blades) or native versions of single edged backsword blades.
This blade would be regarded as the 'pattisa', a spatulate tip blade derived from ancient classical forms, and more associated with Marathas in Deccani regions to the south.

The hilt on this with diamond shape grip is not typical of khanda, especially pattisa forms as far as I have known, so I would be grateful to know more on this particular example. Here I would note that this style of grip is known to Rajput use and from Rajasthani regions, but I am unaccustomed to seeing it on a khanda hilt.

This, along with the 'pattisa' type blade, suggests this sword to be anomalous and most interesting.....for the hybridized features as well as the remarkably early date stated.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote