Thread: For Comment #3
View Single Post
Old 5th April 2019, 12:33 PM   #15
A. G. Maisey

Yes Jean, some people do refer to this wrongko style, when found in Madura as "daunan", personally I have a bit of a problem with this, because the word "daun" is actually Malay, the word "daun" does not appear in Javanese, and the Javanese language and Madurese language are closely related. I do not understand or speak the Madurese dialect.

"Daunan" does not mean "leaves, foliage", it means "leaf-like"; "daun-daunan" means foliage, "daun-daun" means leaves, and this is Bahasa Indonesia, not Basa Jawa. I cannot definitively state that in formal, high level Madurese the word "daun" does not exist, but my guess is that the word "daun", and its derivatives, when used in Madura, form a part of the lower level of language, that would be the Madurese equivalent of Javanese ngoko, in other words, "daun" would be a loan word from Malay.

Now, since this wrongko form is one for formal level use it follows that the word used to describe it must be acceptable for use in a level above common colloquial Madurese. My feeling is that if we were to investigate this matter, we would find that the common people use "daunan" to refer to this wrongko style, but in a higher level of language another name will be used. In view of the historically close relationship between Surakarta and the regencies of Madura, it would not surprise me if that higher level was found to be "ladrangan".

The word "ladrang" actually refers to one of the musical gamelan gendhing structures, there are several gendhing structures, and the basic structure is a cycle of 16 beats, the ladrang cycle is of 32 beats, or twice as long as the basic cycle.

Javanese names for things relate to other similar things, it is a remarkably onomatopoeic language, often the name for something will sound like the thing it refers to, so the elements of the language and the things that the language refers to are in a sense, interconnected.

Now, we all know that a gayaman wrongko is named thus because it looks similar to the fruit, or nut, of a gayam tree. So why is a ladrangan wrongko named after one of the gendhing (colotomic) structures in gamelan music? Simply because the ladrang cycle after which it is named is twice as long as the basic cycle, just as the ladrangan wrongko is twice as long as the gayaman wrongko, it is "like a ladrang cycle".

In the Javanese language, ideas do not stand alone, they relate to other things and ideas.

I considered whether or not I should use the "daunan" term to refer to this wrongko, but since I feel that this keris is not 100% Madura, but rather probably was worn on the North Coast, and since ladrang, or ladrangan is the generally accepted term for a wrongko that has a leaf-like form, I opted for the Javanese term.

Really, I'd be quite happy to call this for simply a formal wrongko, we are writing in English after all.

As to the validity of the name "gana" for this natural root-wood hilt form, I'm with you Jean, the name is entrenched now, even though the name for it might have been different in the long past, why not stick with what people use now? I think David said something similar too, didn't he?

But then was the name "gana" incorrect in the long past? Just maybe it was not. In Javanese the word "gana" has a number of different meanings, and a couple of these meanings seem to me to fit this type of hilt quite well.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote