View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2008, 08:40 PM   #30
Gonzalo G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Evans
Now you completely perplex me. In the "Catalogo" section, on pg 376 Domenech clearly attributes Cat 1131 to the 19th century and Cat 1152 on pg 380 to late 19th century.

Having some expertise, in metal work and knife making, I know that I could make a similar guard from either bar-stock or hammer forging a lump of soft iron and then fishing it by filing. But it is quite a complex shape on account of its tapering and curved quillons and would take me a while - Also probably would ruin one or two before ending up with a good one.

I perplex myself, Chris. Yes, you are right, I forgot for a moment the catalog descriptions at the end of the book.

I donīt think that the latter guard is more complex to make than the facónīs. In fact, it was made more rough. You have only to forge-weld a ring as an extra, but the flatted and ornated form on the guard where the facónīs tang passes, is also an extra job, more time consuming than a weld (if you know how to make this job). Making tapers on the forge is very easy over the anvilīs horn, and the grooves maybe were made by hot chiselling and latter finishing by file. The point of the quillons could be made by hammering and then finished also by file.
Regards

Gonzalo
Gonzalo G is offline   Reply With Quote