View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:36 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

As David and Alam Shah have pointed out, there has already been a lot of ground covered on this subject. I haven't read the posts about this subject for years, but my memory of it is that it went in interminable circles. I don't think there was ever a lot of good, solid down to earth useable info came out of all those thousands---maybe hundreds of thousands---of words.Don't misunderstand me, there was a heap of info in there, but I don't think that anybody, after reading it, could use what he had learnt to go out a buy himself a "good keris".

This is just about as I would expect, because appraisal of a keris is pretty much like appraisal of any other art work. The objective is to ascertain market value, but sometimes---as with any art work---market value moves in a direction that is not necessarily related to quantifiable quality.

Even if one ignores the question of value, and only concentrates on the physically quantifiable aspects of the work, to use an analytical approach where we specify the characteristics that should be found in the various features of a blade , is not really all that practical, because although we could come to a decision on the quality of the craftsmanship by using such an approach, we could not assess the art component because--- as with any art work--- that appraisal is subjective, and can only be effectively carried out by somebody with appropriate training and experience.

It is possible to appraise value to a limited degree by looking at components used in a complete keris, not just the blade. Gold is worth more than brass. Diamonds are worth more than rosecut rock crystal.However, no matter what materials are used, if the art factor is missing, the item is not worth as much as if the art factor were present.

Then there are the differences in standards between people with a keris interest in the western world, and people with an interest in keris in Jawa. Generally speaking, the western world collectors much prefer keris with high visual impact. Generally speaking, the collectors in Jawa much prefer keris with high prestige impact.The difference in the societies dictates what is favoured in those societies. What is desireable in Jawa, may not be particularly desireable in Sydney, or New York. And vice versa.

Even if we could come to agreement on some universal standard, I do not believe that even the most knowledgeable of us could pass our knowledge on to others by way of written words and internet photographs. In my opinion, what is needed is years and years and years of hands on experience. This cannot be replaced with photos and words.

What would perhaps be achieveable would be to specify standards of craftsmanship.This at least would be the beginning of an understanding of what goes to make a better than average keris.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote