View Single Post
Old 5th June 2010, 03:25 AM   #10
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
A pity that its iron tiller/tail is broken, or deliberately cut off (?).
Who knows one day i come across a similar specimen in its complete status; then the tail secret would be revealed.
Say Michael ( ), is there any chance that the tail has always been like it is now, to be lodged into a shaft, or some other device?
... And, don't hit me too hard for all the nonsense .
Fernando

No nonsense at all, Nando, but questions worth a discussion which I have already partly tried to enliven.
Looking at one of the beautifully details that you gave us clearly shows traces of hammering at the end of the stick, so that most probably denotes that the sharp iron edges were smoothened with the hammer after shortening the tiller. If you look at my post of today with the attached pieces of my small Nischengeschütz it is evident that its tiller was sawn off too and, as you put it, lodged into the stock, or rather wooden square base.
Honestly, as all conceivable variations of original finials are possible, I am afraid we will never find the perfect ending for your barrel. There is need, either. It is just fine the way it is.

Besides, you have certainly noticed the small and still tentative earliest molding around the touch hole, which actually makes it one of the very rare most 'primeval' beginnings of an igniting pan found on medieval barrels! At the same time this perfectly confirms my dating of your barrel to 'ca. 1450'.

Moreover, it can be distinctly seen where the reinforcing muzzle ring was drawn over the muzzle when in yellow or red hot condition - a superb and rarely enough noted discerning detail!

Best, and congrats again,
Miguel

Last edited by Matchlock; 5th June 2010 at 03:38 AM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote