View Single Post
Old 4th June 2010, 05:31 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Dear Philip,
Thanks a lot for your input.
The origin is said to be Northern Europe; obviously i would like to have a more precise definition, but i am afraid i wil have to live with such one.
Alright, assuming that the tail was longer; could either just be a bit longer for the purpose you suggest, but also be a long tiller, to be held under the armpit, in the typical tiller gun manner. Well, in the field of giving wings to imagination, it could even have had its finial in the form of a ring, to be used by horsemen, tied to the chest, like the famous scopitus (sclopitus), as we see illustrated in several early firearms publications. Its barrel is a bit long and heavy for that, i suppose, anyway .
I am expecting that Michael has a look at these pictures, to confirm his assumption that this is a so called tiller gun. He has seen zillions of these things, his eye is most experienced in this area.
I will keep in mind the balsa wood resource ; thank you for the hint. Meanwhile i have checked this bore with some devices i had at hand and it appears to be cylindrical. What happens is that some rust is located at the first third but, igoring that, the section at the breech looks as wide as the muzzle opening.
Best
Fernando

Last edited by fernando; 25th August 2015 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spell
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote