View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2023, 07:48 PM   #13
Teisani

More info on Moldovan swords at Topkapı Sarayı, Istambul. Looking through Carol König's paper I noticed that thee were 3 swords with multi-fullered blades. The sword with a single fuller and Dragos's coat of arms is missing. Which meant that there were 4 Moldovan swordst the palace. So I remembered that there is an older source in regarding these swords. "Buletinul Comisiunii Monumentelor Istorice 1935 anul XXVIII" contains the article "Odoare romăneşti la Stambul" by Emil Vârtosu. I posted it here for convenience (in Romanian), but the short version is this:

There are 3 Moldovan swords, in Fig.17, from left to right:

- 2635, the one with Dragos's coat of arms. No crosses, but a finely engraved sigil on the blade. Total length 126cm. It also mentions of a similar coat of arms of Bogdan I copied during the 15th century, residing at the Romanian Academi, ms. 5219. I have to look into that.

- 2636, Stephen's sword, with 4 crosses engraved on both sides of the blade the blade. Total length 125cm.

- 2637, the one with the aurochs & striped-shield coat of arms, 4 crosses engraved on both sides of the blade. Total length 126-127cm.

Other candidates:

- 2638, identical guard, and general shape to 2636 and 2367, same 4 crosses engraved. Pommel deteriorated, coat of arms discs on the pommel - missing. Total length 128-129cm.

- 2639, pommel deteriorated, no coat of arms, bent guard, 3 cosses instead of 4 but of similar placements. Total length 151cm.

- 2633 and 2343, similar guards as 2635's, finely engraved sigil on the blade. Coat of arms discs on the pommel - missing.

Note:
- the author likens the crosses to Maltese ones. Don't remember seeing goob photos of them on the originals, but on this gift replica given by the Turkish state to the Muzeul Manastirii Putna Romania (last photo).
- Konig's picture seems to be of 2638, 2636 & 2637 (left to right).

Of course, this article is old, and we would need some quality pictures of these additional swords to decide, although I think 2638 is probably from the same workshop as 2636 and 2637.

Source: https://patrimoniu.ro/images/BCMI/Bu...nul-XXVIII.pdf
Attached Images

Last edited by Teisani; 3rd March 2023 at 09:06 PM.
Teisani is offline   Reply With Quote