View Single Post
Old 28th February 2023, 10:25 PM   #2
Reventlov

The interesting example of the sword of Stephen the Great of Moldavia (r. 1457-1504) has been raised here. The blade has four fullers at the hilt, decreasing to three, two, and one towards the tip. Many-fullered blades are unusually common in Southeastern Europe, and can be classified as Oakeshott's type XX, and further subtypes defined by Marko Aleksic.

As stated here, the blade was likely produced in one of the Saxon cities of Transylvania, though there are a few many-fullered blades with markings that indicate an Italian origin. The unique hilt, with a Slavic inscription identifying its owner, is likely of local Moldavian manufacture. The now-missing medallions on each side of the pommel probably displayed the Moldavian aurochs and Stephen's personal coat-of-arms. By comparison with other examples and artwork, I see no reason to doubt that the sword made for Stephen III (the Great), and not one of his earlier namesakes. Aleksic has suggested a date of c. 1480.

Some alternative theories of the sword's origin are discussed here and elsewhere. There is apparently a persistent story (rather myth, I suspect) that the sword was a gift from Pope Sixtus IV in 1475, after a victory for which Stephen was dubbed Athleta Christi. I have not seen any actual source cited for this claim. Another claim, which does rest on documentary evidence, is that Stephen once ordered a sword (or swords?) from the Genoese, who maintained trading posts in Moldavia. This is cited in a Romanian article by Carol König, "Armamentul din dotarea oastei Moldovei în timpul domniei lui Stefan Cel Mare (1457-1504)." There is apparently nothing to directly link the existing sword to this request, and I think the Transylvanian origin remains the most plausible explanation.

- Mark
Attached Images

Reventlov is offline   Reply With Quote