View Single Post
Old 1st March 2019, 08:52 AM   #4
kronckew

Restoration depends on your skill & comfort level, some collectors would keep it as is, warts and all and feel any restoration lowers the value. Some would do some minor repairs that improve the display appearance or usability but would ultimately be reversible. Some might rebuild the scabbard or replace the damaged area.

I'm assuming the cracks are the ones you show near the tip. If it were mine, I'd probably fill any widely open cracks with coloured epoxy putty, being careful to ensure none got inside to prevent the sword from seating. for cracks under 1 mm you might be able to wick in some HV superglue. Then sand & re-lacquer the area with real black lacquer, not paint. Resecure the scabbard end fitting with the lacquer - or other glue as needed if an authentic look is not needed. Guard looks like it might be a bit wobbly, I'd carefully wick in some HV superglue. Do not polish the patina off the brass.

I leave comments on age to the experts here. Could be an Imperial troopers sword. Segmented fullers on Qing dynasty swords were not uncommon, these unique fuller designs derive from Indian and Iranian influences.

Last edited by kronckew; 1st March 2019 at 09:09 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote