Thread: Zulu spear
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2018, 08:33 AM   #10
colin henshaw

Regarding the possible identification of "Zulu" spears, I have done a little research, and these are my findings :-

A differentiation should firstly be made between "made by the Zulus" and "used by the Zulus".

The book "Zulu Treasures" published by the KwaZulu Cultural Museum and the Local History Museums" 1996 has a good overview of Zulu metalworking and illustrates a number of spears. It states "the notching at the base of the blade is typical of North Nguni spears". "North Nguni" refers to Zulu, Matabele and Swazi peoples.

The National Museums Scotland website illustrates several spears from Malawi (ex Nyasaland) with the same notching to the base of the blade, and which are definitely not Zulu or even North Nguni.

The Zulus seemed to mainly use hide strip, or vegetable fibre binding to attach the spearhead (often covered by a section of cowtail). Plaited wire was more often used by tribes to the north, such as the Mashona.

In addition, there were offshoots of the Zulus who travelled further north, such as the Ngoni and Matabele who retained Zulu culture and manufactures, at least for a time.

Its probably safe to say that spears that evidence usage of metal files are of later date.

Its also true to say that other peoples near to the dominant Zulu, copied their material culture to an extent ... the Thonga of Mozambique for example.

So, the picture is a bit mixed regarding identification of spears as "Zulu", although it can be often quite likely as war booty, the only 100% sure method would be to have solid provenance, I guess.

Its an interesting topic ... does anyone else have more information to add ?
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote