Thread: Maranao Barong
View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2012, 10:19 PM   #8
Bangkaya

Nirghosa,
I have no doubt about your Maranao attribution to your barung. It is that fabulous okir carving on the scabbard that gives it away. Maranao okir has a distinct look very similar to Sulu ukkil, however, because of the cultural, historical, and geographical differences between those people, Maranao okir has taken on that distinct look because of what it means to them and how it defines the Maranao. Sulu ukkil, on the other hand, has a certain look because, too, of their beliefs and history. Even among the Sulu tribes, Tausug ukkil looks different than Yakan ukkil though very simlar and differences are purely esoteric. However, a trained eye and one that knows the culural differences between the two tribes can readily differentiate the two. I am lucky to have friends that are Tausug, Maranao, Maguindanao, and Yakan. And those friends have given me valuable insight on their culture and beliefs which has helped me understand the differences between their decorative yet symbolic artwork we know as ukkil/okir.
For more insight I suggest your read Ligaya Fernando-Amilbangsa's book Ukkil: Visual Arts of the Sulu Archipelago.

As for your barung, I'm still quite curious to the tip you mention. From the photo it looks like it tapers quite dramatically viewed from the spine so I assumed it was double-edged like mine.

Enclosed are a couple of photos I took. The first was taken in Lanao with a few "barungs" in the foreground (just the hilts and scabbards.) Though the barung is primarily a Sulu weapon, the Maranao do make them, but not in the same manner as the Tausug, and primarily for tourist. Most people do not want to travel to Sulu so they market these barungs for them. Even though they are primarily for tourist and not pure collectors, the quality is still very good. But they still add their Maranao flair by their decorations and okir. The second photo is of a Maranao torogon endbeam I found in an antiques mart in Manila. Compare the okir with that and the okir of your barung and you will notice the similiarities.

Regards,

Bangkaya
Attached Images

Bangkaya is offline   Reply With Quote