View Single Post
Old 6th June 2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Carlos and congratulations on your new Philippine dagger. I totally agree with Jose on its age. I was also watching this item but was leery of bidding on it because of the poor picture quality and high starting price. In the pictures it looks like there could be what looks like a lot of epoxy residue on the hilt as if it was damaged and some repair work might have been done. Also the strange staining on the back side of the guard might be either oxidation, possibly peeling of plating or if it is plated where the plating has worn through. I'm hoping it is just oxidation. When it arrives clean the grooves in the hilt and I think you might be surprised and could find silver bands running in them. The shape of the grooves and the horn plugs at their ends indicate that there is a very good possibility that at one time it did have these and somewhere under the grunge they are still there and intact. Again my congratulations on your new addition and please let us know what you find when it arrives.

Robert

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 6th June 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote