Thread: Unknown weapon
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2023, 04:56 PM   #24
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj-Biffy Snodgrass View Post
Very nice finds Detlef, both examples for me are Cambodian Kabet (knife in khmer), they are used throughout the whole region of Cambodia Thailand and Laos, but yours are 100% Cambodian, the give away are the mounts, they are often mistakenly thought to be from Vietnam, likely as they were also used in the Cham regions.
The long hilt ones are for splitting rattan and bamboo and are traditionally carried in a very simple bamboo holder - scabbard slung over one shoulder, see pics attached, these are modern but just to show the means of carrying them and what they were used for, but also as weapons to.
Today with youtube and some interesting vids on Cambodian smiths you can still see these being made in identical form and still used, if I am correct the style of the mounts on these are from the Phnom Penh regions, there are other types though as there are different types of P'keak - Kokok '' Maks '' from different regions, much the same as there are regional types of many other Asian knives used for work and doubling up as weapons, hope this helps. Snody
Hi Snody,

Thank you very much for confirming that this knife is from Cambodia and the very interesting pictures. By ebay is listed such a knife with a scabbard like on your first picture but much more fancy, sadly I can't post a picture because it's still for selling.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote