View Single Post
Old 10th April 2014, 09:25 AM   #12
cicak_cobing

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I certainly wouldn't sand it down, not even a little.
I might try some WD-40 and a toothbrush or maybe hit it with very fine #0000 steel wool to see if it brightens up.
that's right, david.. i do not wish to "damage" the steel but at the same time i do not want it leave it to get damaged by itself..

Quote:
Originally Posted by semar
Hello Cicak Cobing

leave the blad like it is juse onley WD 40 like David say and clean it with a brush to remove the old rust its one old blade more you can not do in my opinion

semar
yea, semar.. will surely work on it with wd-40 as david suggest.. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuk Murugul
Hullo everybody!

..... Depends on culture. Certainly helps when kneeling, squatting or indeed, sitting cross-legged. You will find drags on all manner of edged-weapons, even on a short golok/hakmes.

Best,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel
Hello Zach,

By drag I mean the little U -shaped piece added to the tip of the scabbard. It can be seen in one of your first pics

On European sabres it was originally added as further protection to the tip of the scabbard from damage when the sabre dragged on the floor, hence "drag". I attach a European example.

It looks like a later addition to me as it doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the chape (the decorative tip of the scabbard).

Emanuel
i'm not sure about it on this particular piece that i have.. i think somebody earlier might have tried to repair it by re-attaching it with the original piece or with a new copper.. i can see some welding marks on it..
as to your question, maybe there is some european/dutch influence in it.. i can't say for sure tho.. just as amuk murugul mentioned, this design also appears on other swords in indonesia too.. some of them have got strong european influence, probably it's made for dutch customers..

drag on pedang suduk:

drag on golok tjikeroeh:

this piece is interesting as there is no metal works on it but yet the drag design is there.. other styles will have a wooden or horn cover at the butt of the wooden sheath called "tutup handap" (bottom cover) or "kasut" (shoe), depending on the area..

attached is a golok bengkulu and parang nabur with the drag..
Attached Images

cicak_cobing is offline   Reply With Quote