View Single Post
Old 19th April 2015, 06:09 PM   #22
rickystl

Hi Stu.
Yes, this gun is closer to a re-build than restoration. But the original goal of this Jazail was to have a shooter versus a collector piece. And since I was so intent on having a shooter, I thought this example was a good candidate for the project.
That said, I totally agree with you on over-restoration. And the Sharps rifle you mentioned is a textbook example of what NOT to do. I own an original Northwest Trade Fusil, converted to percussion, that is in attic condition. It was probably used all the way up till the tumbler broke. Of course, these guns are rare in any condition, and I would not dream of doing any restoration to it. Not even fixing the lock. I simply give it an occasional light soap cleaning and keep it for display in my collection. I'm simply the next caretaker for her.
As far as the holes in the barrel tang. You could be right about that. But we will never know for sure. The barrel was used in a matchlock, then re-used to build another gun back in the period. But all the Jazails I've seen have either a small trigger plate or no no trigger plate. Which leads me to believe wood screws or nails were more likely. I've seen both used. In fact, my other Jazail has two square headed nails.
Thanks for your interest. Rick. I'll post another gun sometime today.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote