View Single Post
Old 7th November 2021, 10:46 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Jim, do you mean to say that infantry swords were not meant for combat, or this pattern in particular ?
Call it a flaw from the abovementioned book author but, in fact, Queen Dona Maria II reigned twice, the first period between 1826-1828, ended by an uprise followed by a Civil War, that lasted until 1834.
This would give place for a 1822 (pipe-back) sword hilted with this Queen cartouche to be present in such episodes and break in combat; or as well be broken for another zillion reasons.

No, what I meant was that infantry did not really carry swords after 1780s (British), but these were officers swords. These were typically regarded as secondary of course, and to direct etc. Officers were not expected to participate in combat, but there were of course exceptions.

I dont think this adaption was from a blade broken in combat or that sort of situation, but swords in those days were not especially regarded as practical.
However , the blades were valued, and of course cut down for use in knife form.
The sword was essentially obsolete in the 19th c in the US, which was the reason for extra large Bowies, and the espada anchas in Mexico. While swords were still worn, actual use was incidental.

Turning to Scotland, after Culloden (1746) swords were prohibited....however, dirks were considered utility and OK to use for hunting etc...........which is what happened to many of the famed Highland basket hilts. It was not from being broken in combat.

As noted, this distinctive type 'round back' blade was not especially common, but known in early British sabers (not just infantry) until about 1840s..they were seen on German sabers c. 1870s-80s, and these swords were used into WWI period.

The blade here seems from the upper section of the blade, reprofiled tip. I cannot think of any bayonet with ramrod back blade, and would welcome any information on such types.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote