View Single Post
Old 11th April 2012, 06:08 PM   #14
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri
Hello dear members ,

Just got this keris probably from Lampung . Not a masterpiece and not cleaned yet but would like to get your advices regarding the ganja ... missing before starting the cleaning . I already handled a couple of times similar keris from Lampung and bizarrely the ganja was also missing . So , wondering why or if this particular kind of blade could come without ???

I would also appreciate your inputs regarding a replacement ganja .What recommendations I will have to follow to do so .

Henri
Henri,
A simple way to know if a ganja is missing or iras: the bottom of the pejetan should not extend to the base of the blade like for your blade, so the ganja of your blade is missing. A ganja iras may not be clearly marked but is located below the pejetan. Of course the shape of the base of the blade (flared on the back side) is another indicator but not always obvious.
About making a new ganja but without sending the blade to a maker, it looks quite risky to me, not only for matching the shape of the blade but also because of the the "new" look of the ganja versus the old blade, and the colour matching. Personally I would keep the blade as it is if I could not ship it to a specialized craftsman.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote