Thread: Comments?
View Single Post
Old 7th February 2005, 02:55 AM   #20
Naga Sasra

Red face

I guess the “old boy” attribution is in order, as it really seems that I need a new set of glasses, I was mistaken in what I saw as a club in his right hand was in fact his knee, I am truly sorry.
This however, do not change the attribution to Bima with the time period previously stated.
Let me start with the main characters in our discussion.

PENDAWA: The name Pandawa (The Warriors) is derived from the story of a noble family who are the lead characters in the story of the Mahabharata. This story was written more than 2000 years ago in India, the story was brought to Indonesia where it became popular, particularly on the Islands of Bali and Jawa.
The story is of the constant struggle between good and evil, and jealousy and power struggles between two sets of cousins the Pandawas representing the good forces, and the Kurawas the evil forces, who both want to rule their kingdom.
The second of the Pandawa brothers is Bima.

BIMA: Is known for his great strength and violence in battle where he wields a club or sword, he has round protruding eyes, a long nose and long thumbnails, he may or may not show his teeth, but will never have his mouth wide open. He also have or have not the other characteristics that I mentioned earlier.

RAKSASA OR RAKSASI: (female) in Hindu mythology is a type of demon or goblin; they have the power to change their shape at will and can appear as animals, as monsters and the female as a beautiful women. They are most powerful in the evening during the dark period of the new moon, but they are dispelled by the rising sun, sort of like a combination of a werewolf and a vampire.
Raksasas are demons with strongly colored complexions, bulging eyes and wide-opened mouths, which display rows of glittering teeth.

As for Rick’s handle, it is an example of Bima, as he do not have his mouth wide open and he carry his club in his right hand. And have a long nose.. Nice example Rick.

Regarding the attribution on Dominique’s web site, from Pictures from "UKIRAN - Essai de classification des poignées de kris de l'archipel indonésien" from Gaspard de Narval, I will respectfully disagree with some of his attributions, such as the Raksasa mentioned, look at Mick’s handle, I see a large thumb and a set of teeth, but definitely not the wide-open mouth that would make him a Raksasa. I guess this would mean that I also respectfully disagree with Bambangs attribution. Maybe I am in deep trouble here!
Naga Sasra is offline   Reply With Quote