View Single Post
Old 24th December 2008, 12:16 AM   #16
kai

Hello Erik,

Quote:
What I hear is that the use of golden crowns was limited to the ruling classes in Aceh.

Who knows more anf if possible with sources.
It seems that decorations on weapons were not studied in detail during the early colonial era - I haven't come across any suitable references yet. Maybe some valuable info are buried in old Dutch goverment documents but it will take a lot of effort to screen through these...

Quote:
What is the differenece between a double crown and a triple crown.
Is it a question a rank? Or money? Or social status?

The same with a double crown with yellow gold and suassa as in my photo.
I'd assume that this is a "lesser crown" - just guessing though! Same-o with single/double/triple "crowns" and rounded/plainer vs. pointy/elaborate tips.

Basically all societies in SE Asia were highly stratified with rank/status acquired by birth and possibly modified by notable accomplishments throughout life. The social relationships were governed by adat & hormat - a complex set of customs and rules that extended into all spheres of life and interconnected the whole society. While there seems to be not that much specific info on traditional Aceh culture surviving, this conserved social structure allows to make some reasonable estimates (working hypotheses).

Quote:
Is it so as I read in a posting here somwhere that suassa was not seen as gold in Atjeh?
Suassa was valued for its gold content as well as its relative resistance against patination (unlike the "lesser" silver) - of course, gold was more valuable. Since "pure" gold (14k and more) was frowned upon for men, diluted gold (about 10k) was seen as a viable alternative. However, most rulers and their families didn't seem to have bothered too much about not wearing "pure" gold...

Quote:
So is that a type of crown that could be used by anybody (with enough money of course...)
Certainly not by anybody (see above) - suassa was most certainly limited to local leaders and other people of higher status. Rich people without "suitable" familial background usually tried to marry into a family of high status; a strategy not unheard of to this very day...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote