Thread: T.O.M.BA.K
View Single Post
Old 8th October 2007, 06:33 AM   #28
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Do you have any comments on the metuk; it appears to be a seperate piece but it's hard to tell because the whole tombak is so eroded .
Dear Rick,

It seems that your methuk is from the type of "methuk sekar", or methuk with pamor. Other types of methuk based on this categorization are: "methuk tretes" (methuk ornamented with kinds of precious stones, combined with silver of gold), "methuk kinatah" (methuk with gold ornaments like Mr Usmen's tombak of Kalacakra), "methuk serasah" (ornamented with thin layers of gold or silver), and "methuk wulung" or of flat black iron...

But from the formation of the methuk, you may call it as "methuk rabi" (separated methuk), rather than "methuk iras" or one piece of methuk with the tombak blade.

On methuk, I agree with Alan that methuk is one of the primary indicator if we want to determine the tangguh of the tombak. But it needs more studies on the tangguh of tombak...

For comparation of the form of methuk, here I will show you the picture of my tombak from the Paku Buwono era (Solo after "palihan nagari" or the division of Mataram, after 1755)...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote