View Single Post
Old 21st March 2013, 06:03 PM   #4
RonHen

Thank you Fernando, I am Still researching the topic. I still have yet to determine if calling the stamp "a Sikh tree mark" has validity, but I was able to tie the significance of trees in the Sikh religion.

I have learned that as in Hinduism and Buddhism, Sikhism does have trees with religious significance. There are several trees, but the one tree that appears the most is the Beri(Zizyphus jujuba) tree. A number of shrines were built around these trees with connections to Sikh Gurus and others within the religion. On the banks of the river Bein, Guru Nanak planted a beri tree and Guru Gobind singh stayed under a beri tree in Seeloana, Ludhiana. While I was in India last month, I visited the Golden Temple in Amritsar and the beri tree, in which it is said that Baba Buddha used to sit while the excavations to build the sacred pool were taking place. A Beri named Dukh Bhanjani Ber Sahib is another well known tree at at the golden temple. This tree is associated with the story of Bibi Rajani who had a leper husband that was cured by while bathing next to the tree. It was this that caused Guru Ram Das to develop the reservoir into a proper bathing tank and name that tree. Image of tree below.

Figure .176 below shows a similar Chakram in Edged Weapons by Wilkinson. Wilkinson calls the marking a simple decoration. This may very well be the case. Hopefully someone can add some more insight.

Kind regards

Ron
Attached Images

RonHen is offline   Reply With Quote