View Single Post
Old 20th August 2005, 03:43 PM   #11
Montino Bourbon

"The pamor on this piece is one of the staple pamors generated in Madura now a days. It is inappropiate for a Balinese blade.

That said, the pamor work is well done and shows that the people in Madura are getting better and better. The pamor could follow that centerline of the piece better (which is difficult on a piece which contains luks). It runs off of the ridge line a bit. The carving is well done, but the polishing (which would be extremely difficult with this type of pamor) is not as well done as would be expected on a Balinese blade.

If the piece was actually done in Bali, it looks like someone who learned their trade in Madura has relocxated to Bali. There are (I believe) still a few people in Bali who can still reproduce representative pieces more appropriate for the island than the piece presented."

By Mick

Sorry to take so long to get back to this- The last time I was in Bali I visited two very noted Balinese collectors who showed me, among others, several old Balinese keris that had this same pamor, Ganggeng Kanyut. I saw different versions, and two of them were old Balinese keris. I would venture to say that this pamor, from personal experience, can indeed be found in Balinese keris.
Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote