View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:17 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
David, those pics you have posted are examples of old and new renditions of the same hilt style.

Once you get these little bumps you have the hilt style, the differences in spelling, or in pronunciation, do not indicate differences or shades of difference in the hilt style, its still the same hilt style, the only difference is in the way the informant gave the information.
Thanks Alan. I am completely aware of that. Leif asked for examples of similar hilts so i obliged.
As i stated before, i am sure you are correct about the spelling and i would also agree that you are correct about how this misspelling has slipped into the lexicon. But that's the thing about language. A certain spelling takes hold amongst a certain group of people and though technically incorrect it becomes known by that spelling. When i went searching for images on the internet i tried both spellings and the one that yielded the best results for the images i was seeking was the misspelling. That doesn't make that spelling correct, but it obviously has reached a certain level of acceptance.
David is offline   Reply With Quote