View Single Post
Old 4th June 2006, 11:58 PM   #25
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This has been an especially interesting thread, and it is rewarding to see the responses of members who have lurked and particularly those very young members. I had no idea of the youth of some of you guys, you all sound a great deal older in your mature manner of speaking and expressing yourselves. I am very impressed and as Wolviex wisely noted, you are indeed our future in our quest to further research on antique and historical ethnographic edged weapons.

The questions asked here perpetuate the research that is essential for us all to learn. By sharing data and newly acquired weapons we all gain from the knowledge acquired. It is like a monumental building project in which we all work together placing bricks, steel, mortar and constantly do so in concert with each other. Everyone has thier own areas of interest and expertise and specialize in matters accordingly. We have the dha guys, the keris krowd and lots of us that are sort of jacks of all trades.

I remember as a young guy collecting my first few weapons (one of my first was a Moro keris seen in a garage...I helped the guy sand down a Model A frame to get it!). I was so desperate to learn, but there were no forums, no wise old collectors to learn from, very few books around, and the few antique dealers were, uh, story tellers extraordinaire! What b.s.!!
I decided to start buying books from various mail order places, and building my own library to learn myself. Over the years, I bought every book I could find, even on topics that I never imagined would apply to my collecting, but found regulation military patterns were actually findable. Along with my rusty old keris, there were a number of assorted bayonets, mostly 50 cent items found in barrels at war surplus stores.
As years went by, and my library grew, out of probably sheer audacity, I started writing to various authors with my questions, thinking they would probably never write back. I was shocked! Many of these icons of early arms literature actually did write back! and over the years I became at least on friendly terms with these gracious gentlemen. Thier grace and patience in answering the questions of an empassioned young collector earned my deepest respect, and remains firmly emplaced in my regard toward authors.

By this same token, speaking to the younger members of our forum, who are clearly much more well versed and well informed than I was at that age, I wanted to tell you how much your presence here is valued, and I encourage you to not only ask the questions, but further the research. I deparately wanted to learn, and would have given anything to have a medium such as these forums. Now that I have reached the age that I am and gratefully learned a great deal, I find that I am still learning, and ironically much of it is generated by you young guys and the comments you make and the questions you ask!!
Regarding the note by Zifir concerning focus on collecting as opposed to historical discussion, they are both deeply connected, and the emphasis on one typicaly leads to the other. A weapon is acquired and the historical data is reviewed as we try to discover more on its origins, use and possible provenance.

For those 'lurkers', I suspect by your mere presence here that you have a great deal more knowledge already than you may realize on the subjects we discuss. We need your help as well ,as the questions you ask draw from that knowledge which you inately possess and often generate facts which may not be known or available to many of us.

Thanks everybody for enduring my 'trip down memory lane' and most of all for making this forum what it is, a sanctuary for learning among friends,
All best wishes,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote