View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2017, 07:35 PM   #29
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
I note that The Two Niks have used "perkaka". Although Indonesian is a form of Malay, and the two languages are mutually intelligible, I do not speak or write formal Malay, so I needed to go to several Malay dictionaries to check "perkaka". I could not find the word, so either we are looking at a printing error, or an error in the original text, or local dialect, or perhaps a newly invented word constructed to apply to this Jawa Demam hilt form.
Well, the Google translator (perhaps not the best source) translates "perkaka" as "the appliance" and translates "pekaka" as "kingfishers".
Well i do find all this name game stuff interesting and while i am certainly not trying to squash that conversation i will just bring it back one more time to the actual reason we began discussing these terms in the first place. That is that the hilt which is currently on this keris, which seems a form of anak ayam teleng, is in fact perfectly correct for this ensemble and that a "Northern type of Jawa Demam", which apparently may be referred to as "pekaka" today, but which it seems may once have been the more accepted name of the hilt which seems to be erroneously called a "kingfisher" hilt (though was in most probability never intended to represent a kingfisher at all), would also be considered perfectly acceptable for a Bugis keris from the Terengganu area as well. There, that wasn't confusing in the least bit...
David is offline   Reply With Quote