View Single Post
Old 4th August 2013, 06:43 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

LOL!!!
Chris ya got me there!!!! the 'bookmobile' it is Mark!
As Jens has fairly warned, a lecture could break out here.....while I couldnt put a dent in the true tulwar case compared to his expertise...I do know some on the British Raj history.

Actually Mark has hit it quite well, and these British M1853's were provided for the Indian native units, typically into 1870s and 80s, possibly longer.
As far as I have known, these were like the regulation 1853s but most of the ones I recall were of the number made by Rodwell & Co. (if memory serves) and were for private units some assoc. with Baroda, I think a railway outfit.

The hilts on those though seemed flimsier, and this one more substantial, more like an actual surplus hilt. Clearly the blade is different, and seems remounted. These swords were aready being replaced by 1864 with full sheet guards and many of the native units selected certain British patterns which remained in use into the 20th century.
Actually the M1796 stirrup hilt light cavalry sabre remained in use and limited production specifically for Indian units past the 1880s.

Yes, Mole (a subcontractor for Wilkinson) did produce various swords for India, including three bar hilt sabres and actually true tulwars with Indo-Persian hilts in steel or brass. I once had two of these with Mole on the blade back.

As far as I know, 'tulwar' is an Indian term for sword, and does not necessarily apply to a specific form in actuality, though collectors typically insist on categoric classification. Many shamshir hilt sabres used in India are termed 'tulwar' (as seen in Rawson), and presumably even these British hilt sabres might be regarded as tulwars in Indian parlance.

Im not sure what the mark at the forte is, but possibly an armoury or issue type mark?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote