View Single Post
Old 13th August 2007, 01:56 PM   #4
katana

Hi Ariel,
thank you for your reply ...a search of the forum gave additional clues...

".....I would also say that they look a bit more modern, towards early 1900s, because of the lack of proper decoration on the metal strip between the handles. At the 1870s time, still most daggers had a scroll floral decoration engraved on this metal script. The simple "zig-zag" decoration starts latter, maybe from 1890s and then in 1920s or so we have no decaration at all, as one of the examples. Industrial revolution affected all societies, so less time was devoted to a specific knife......." Quote from Eftihis from this thread

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=Cretan

As this knife has scroll decoration, can I assume it is around 1870 in date ? The blade on mine also has the remains of scroll/foilage engraving with is heavily worn. The very dark patination seems to suggest late 19th c.
Could someone tell me from what animal the horn is from, is it naturally greenish in colour or is it dyed ?

I also got the impression (from other threads on these knives) that older versions of these knives are relatively rare.....is this the case?

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote