View Single Post
Old 11th December 2007, 08:36 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Thumbs up Mandara mountains tabouka

This is the last thing this year except for a club I am still waiting for, bought before this sword. I will have to weed the collection in the new year. I am really pleased with this one. I love the patched up scabbard. It most have looked very smart worn on your arm. The pictures are taken indoors with the flash on so they do not show any subtlety. The blade alone is 33.5 inches or 85cm long. What looks like a brake is if you look very close problems with slag. I googled "slag problems in steel blade forging" and read that this can happen in the centre of the blade for some reason? {I did not read more} There is more evidance of slag in the metal in other places on the blade. However the blade has been finished, for the steel well tempered and in the evnviroment I would think quite servicable, though like many a Tabouka I am not sure they were used for fighting. I am not sure the chape is a repair it apears to be make from an old brown boot judging by the double rows of stitch holes, perhaps an old riding boot or military kit leather. Anyway I am more than happy with it but you know I like some unusual things.

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote