View Single Post
Old 5th January 2006, 05:28 PM   #62
nechesh

Pusaka, i honestly wish you the best of luck with your search. I also believe that this search should continue, though IMO nothing concrete will ever come out of it. But theories are a good thing to as long as we continue to understand them as such and not try to present them as fact. Not to discourage you, but keep in mind that a guy like Alan Maisey has been studying keris for 50 yrs. He apprenticed and was trained by one of the last great kraton empus and has dedicated his life to the study and understanding of keris. So when his research is inconclusive it is not for lack of searching.
Just so you understand, i don't dismiss all the theories you have put forth here and also believe, like you, that there is a strong Vedic connection to be found in the symbolism of the keris. As has been pointed out, one of the biggest problems in researching this stuff is that there are very few records to draw from on the origins of the keris. The culture has evolved greatly over the centuries and has gained much new symbolism over the years. As i stated before, this new symbolism is not invalid. It applies to the current culture. I doubt, for instance, that much of what Boedhi Adhitya layed out on the symbolism of the keris actually would apply in Mojopahit times, though some of it probably passed through over the centuries. It is, however, probably right on for those using the keris today as a tool for spiritual growth, and as such, completely valid. Don't stop looking, thinking and connecting. You might not always be right, but that, i am afraid, is the nature of this study.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote