View Single Post
Old 10th June 2014, 07:07 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek
Very little taper to the blade, but blades from Ceylon can be strange animals.

Yes, you hit on the lotus and tendrils. I had a nice little kukri with a very similar theme on the bottom and it had the lions at the top. Same metals, silver alloy and brass. Gotta find that picture!

The animal on the pommel (lion, dragon, mythical water creature, whatever) is silver alloy with a fading gold wash. Its very polished.

I frequently troll the knives coming from China, especially on Ali express, and I guess I am doubtful they would tackle something so relatively obscure and put so much detail into it. This wouldn't be a mass produced item. There would be no money in it....unless someone tried to pass it off for a few thousand bucks. Hmmm.

Salaams Derek... I have to say the item is a copy... but may be either from Sri Lanka or India as a tourist sword.. It looks too worn/polished to be recent Chinese...but it could be... For sure then~ its not a real Kastane ... but it could be a belly dancer item. Often, however,they have inverted blades...to more easily balance on top of the performers head! ~ used in Belly Dancing in North Africa...Morocco etc...
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote