View Single Post
Old 10th November 2011, 08:00 AM   #17
A. G. Maisey

Yes, there's no reason why bronze cannot not have gold in it, I think there could well be as many recipes for bronze as there are uses for it.

By definition, any alloy of copper and tin where copper is the principal metal, and zinc is not the principal secondary metal is a bronze.Once zinc becomes the principal secondary metal you have brass.

Suasa can be accurately translated to English as "rose gold", but gangsa is by definition a bronze, albeit, a bronze that contains a small quantity of gold.

Rasjid, I've had a lot of copper pendok through my hands over the years, and some of those were sold to me as gangsa, but I don't think I've ever had a true gangsa pendok in my hands, at least not that I was aware of.

With suasa I understand that the karat value can go as low as 4K or 5K and still be legitimate suasa, I don't know where the karat value of gangsa would kick in.

I wonder if these gold-like materials are pinchbeck?

Pinchbeck is quite difficult to tell apart from gold, without testing, and it was known in Jawa, because I have Javanese watch chain ornaments and fobs made of it.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 10th November 2011 at 09:18 AM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote