View Single Post
Old 4th November 2015, 01:06 AM   #20
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
Hi Jim, Thanks for your reply. I must admit that since posting this thread I have learned a lot more information about Nepalese weapons making me realize how little I new before. It has made me look at them in a different light and do more research. From old threads and websites the information gleaned can be most confusing. You would think that as Nepal has only two principle weapons the origins would be clear, particularly the Kukri being such an iconic weapon but no one knows r sure although there are plenty of theories most of which seem plausible but none which can be conclusively proved. I must admit to subscribing to the Kopis theory and adopted from the the downward curving weapons of the Rajputs, but since seeing images of the earliest known Kukri against an old Kora (Kouda) my thinking has changed to it being derived from these weapons, but I guess we may never know.
Thought you might like to see some pics of a Kora I have.
Regards. Miguel
Miguel, thank you for posting this outstanding kora! You are right, every time we think we have things pretty much cornered on the arms of certain cultures, regions and classifications .....more is revealed and we find that all we have done is added more questions
After decades of study I can consider myself a somewhat advanced novice.
Excellent posts and discussion, nicely done.

Jens, with the mountains of obscure and esoteric material you have plowed through for these many years, I think it quite acceptable that your source might me out of reach at the moment!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote