Thread: "new" Dha
View Single Post
Old 21st February 2015, 11:40 PM   #11
kronckew

i gather the japanese in burmah frequently carried burmese dha that they took off locals.

i have one that i obtained from a chindit who swore he took i off a japanese soldier who didn't need it anymore after meeting the chindit who paid him a few bullets for it.

i suspect the japanese soldier had obtained it in much the same way.

the blade has a very thick unfullered blade at the grip and is well distal tapered. it is also well decorated as per below, so i suspect the japanese person was an officer, as a nco or lower would likely not have been allowed such a fancy blade. the scabbard has seen a lot of wear & field repairs. the grip is copper with a brass bolster and a central section covered in cord wrap. the silver niello is on both sides and the spine, the spine decorations have an inlaid gold border.

edited:
i took it out of where it was stored tonite to check it. the copper on the grip & pommel has tarnished to a dark patina. i thought originally that the bolster/guard was brass. after seeing how the copper has tarnished, i now think the bright bolster may be gold, more consistent with the niello . not a spot of tarnish or discolouration.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 22nd February 2015 at 12:48 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote