View Single Post
Old 28th July 2013, 07:42 AM   #15
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Ibrahiim, always fantastic input and excellent hearing from you!!! That is great information on the Kaffirs, now residing primarily in Chitral and areas you noted and known tribally as Kalash.
You're absolutely right, this does look more like a katar blade, and yes, the jamadhar katari usually had curved SE blades, however there are some variations with straight. The hilts are typically cast, and some are in brass. The brass rosettes as well as the fixture at top of the hilt are seen in much of the material culture and architecture decoration in the huts etc.

There truly is a lot of debate about terms in these daggers and katars, and according to Pant, the katar was originally termed jamadhar (=tooth of death loosely, if I recall) but Egerton (1880) erred by referring to it as a katar. The term stuck and collectors began using it for the transverse grip daggers, so now its tough to change.

There is a great work on these tribes, "Kafirs of the Hindu Kush", but dont have it with me at this time.
Salaams Jim ~ Great information thanks... I was initially attracted to the brass rosettes which are identical to Portuguese 16th C chest adornments... An odd coincidence...

I also found it odd that the hilt arrangement was apparently turned sideways... though this may have been the style.
Hope all's well in the armoured library !!!

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote