View Single Post
Old 24th November 2022, 12:09 PM   #16
Peter Hudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendolino View Post
I have one such dancing sword. First it is marked with Passau Wolf, (likely forged, but anyway it was forged to mark the combat excellence of the weapon). Second, it is the arm of gunpowder era, so auxilliary and symbolic at least. Third mine iz razor sharp what wouldnt be needed for dancing. Fourth - the main enemy it was used for was the naked man from Equatorial Africa. I wouldn not be pleased to be treated with it on my bare back...Anyway - when I see it I dont think of fancy dancing but of proud any European feel bearing smallsword, which in 19th century was not for battle or even duel but not for dancing also.
Grendolino, The classic mistake made by many people is to think that this was a weapon. The very warlike appearance of the warriors carrying it and the razor sharp edges as well as it being accompanied by the Terrs shield suggest that it was a weapon BUT it was not. Pageant only and as outlined in the Razha described in the Funun traditional dances and pantomime events, mimic sword fights and agressive march pasts and salutations to the Ruler...and at Eids and weddings. The weapons that did the damage were the Abu Futtilla and the Spear and occasionally the Khanjars.( and Cannons) Please include a foto of the blade mark as a lot were copied marks .
Regards, Peter Hudson.
Peter Hudson is online now   Reply With Quote