Old 19th October 2017, 03:55 PM   #246
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Old 13th March 2016, 08:49 PM #275

Posted by:
Jim McDougall
EAA Research Consultant

Originally Posted by kronckew
i guess it might be possible for a 19c theatrical reproduction to use an old blade with stamps and a new grip/guard like that for stage use. i've seen worse that have been used in major and recent films for massed troops at a distance the details are no longer relevant. especially if it once was tarted up with a lick of gold paint and maybe a taped 'leather' grip

i cannot envision any reason they would make a new one with small stamps that could not be seen from the audience.

again, more pics would help. (Quote)

It is true that in the theater, often old blades could be dolled up for use by adding more appropriate hilts. Optimistically we might hope that to be the case here, but quite honestly these markings do not seem in character with blades regularly seen in trade or colonial native circumstances.

It is often amazing how often artifacts with weapons in particular have been presumed of earlier periods, but later determined to be such stage creations.

Interestingly, in California, the old movie studios in their labyrinths of sets, props and costumes often warehoused these from silent film days into the 1980s. When they 'decaccessed' these it was amazing how many actual early weapons were used in these films. This is likely the reason that Rudolph Valentino was an avid sword collector (not sure of others) as these were so available to him.

Alternatively, often times old swords either intact or refurbished became ceremonial or Tyler's sword in Freemason lodges.

Always lots of possibilities, and as noted, from photos it is really difficult to determine more so other views would help.

Last edited by fernando; 20th October 2017 at 04:38 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote