View Single Post
Old 11th February 2024, 04:33 PM   #15
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
Of course I agree with you and I know how the seat from the blade inside the scabbard looks normally (like shown by Gav in several examples), especially by Malay keris. But I am nearly sure that this scabbard is already some decades old together with the blade, the patina inside the opening tells me that. Of course it could be a replacement scabbard, this never could be ruled out. But it's for sure not done from a dealer or collector I assume.
I've owned and still own, especially some Bugis keris where the upside from the gonjo is in line with the opening in the scabbard.
Just to be clear Detlef, it was never my intention to imply that this was a marriage created by a dealer just to be able to sell a complete keris. And i am sure you are correct that this keris and sheath have been together for a very long time. It is very common for people in-culture to replace an old worn out sheath with a used one that is in better condition. Not ever person is in a financial position to commission a brand new sheath for their keris when one is necessary. It seems that most Western collectors are most concerned about having keris with both old and original dress. I have even encountered some collectors dismissing some nice old keris simply because that have very newly made dress. They prefer both old and original dress only. But the truth is that people dress their keris as best they can. Within the various keris cultures i believe that generally means that if your dress is worn out or broken beyond suitable repair you either commission new dress for it if you can afford it or replace it with an older used dress that is still in good condition. I would say it is the latter that happened here.
David is offline   Reply With Quote