View Single Post
Old 6th January 2024, 11:43 PM   #5
cel7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
I am really confused....what does Bavaria have to do with this?
Dusseldorf, as already pointed out, uses this style lion & ANCHOR as arms.
Why would this be on a naval 'type' dirk?
Dusseldorf was a port with vessels navigating the Rhine River.

This seems to be an assembled naval style dirk, following British and French sword hilt styles of late 18th century, usually on military spadroons. The lozenge element at center on the ivory hilt recalls the 'cigar band' style element on the British examples.
The blade does seem Solingen, and of course likely the trefoil blade of a small sword which has been cut down.
The interesting triangular guard plate with the cast lion is contrary to anything seen on typical naval dirks, nothing was found in either Puype, or Annis & May to correspond.

The initials B.S.B. do not seem to represent a Solingen maker, and I cannot locate a Benjamin Schimmelbusch in any of the makers compendiums listing all the Schimmelbusch makers in the dynasty.
I have to ask how B.S.B. translates to Benjamin Schimmelbusch, Solingen, is it an anagram?

Not to be contrary, its an attractive and interesting piece, but just trying to follow the elements in discussion.
Thanks for your response Jim! Indeed, Bavaria has nothing to do with it and neither does Dusseldorf. But because I was looking for a lion resting on a standing anchor, I came across the coat of arms of Dusseldorf. I mentioned that because it looks a bit similar, not because I think the emblem is the same.
Benjamin Schimmelbusch (B.S.B) (1749-1826) was a swordsmith from Solingen. He was a brother of Abraham (A.S.B) and Johannes (I.S.B). Several weapons are known from him.
cel7 is offline   Reply With Quote